PARENT GOVERNOR ELECTION
The school invites Parents/Carers to stand for election as Parent Governor, or to nominate another Parent/Carer to do so. We have provision for two parent governors and there is currently one vacancy.
The Governing Body, with the Headteacher, has overall responsibility for the running of the school. Governing bodies have three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school, making sure its money is well spent.
No special qualifications are needed and the most important thing is to have a keen interest in the school and be prepared to play an active part in the Governing Body’s work. However, we would particularly welcome nominations from parents/carers with the following skills:
- A strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children.
- The inquisitiveness to question and analyse, and the willingness to learn.
- Good inter-personal skills.
- Sufficient literacy and numeracy skills to understand and analyse performance data.
- Work constructively in meetings and lead meetings if necessary.
Training is available for all governors and the Governing Body has an expectation that those new to being a governor will attend free induction training provided by the Local Authority.
The disqualification information summarises the circumstances under which someone cannot serve as a governor. In addition, parents/carers who have paid employment in the school for 500 or more hours per academic year or who are elected members of the Local Authority, are not eligible to stand in this election. Nominations must be from parents or carers with children at the school on the day that nominations close.
If you would like to stand for election please download the Nomination Form and return it to the school no later than Wednesday 4 March 2020. Please include a short personal statement to support your nomination, which should be no longer than 250 words. Self-nominations will be accepted but if you are nominating another parent/carer, please seek their prior consent.
If more than one nomination is received, an election will be by secret ballot. If a ballot is necessary, voting papers will be sent to all parents/carers together with details of the procedure.
If you would like additional information on the parent governor role or to meet the Chair of Governors to discuss your nomination prior to applying, please contact Annette Geraghty, the Clerk to the Governing Body to make an appointment (020 8890 2032 / firstname.lastname@example.org).